RE: Lens marker removal

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, "'shop-talk list'"
Subject: RE: Lens marker removal
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 05:58:37 +0000
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
> Phil Ethier has asserted that plastic
> safety glasses always use polycarbonate,

I said that safety glasses had pretty-well gone over to polycarbonate.  I think
that much of the regular eyeglass material is polycarbonate now, also.  The
stuff is very tough and also available in high indices of refraction that can
allows very light lenses (the difference between thick and thin portions is
less).  The scratch resistance is not all that good, though.

I am not an optician and I wouldn't know what other plastic types are in use
these days.

I like the glass PhotoGrey Extra lenses in my regular specs, but all the sets
of safety glasses I have gotten in recent years are polycarbonate.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,