Re: Cherokee Turn Signals

To: BSHolden@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cherokee Turn Signals
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:12:39 -0500
On 10/29/06, BSHolden@aol.com <BSHolden@aol.com> wrote:

> I had this same situation with my '86 D 250. Turns out that one of the bulb
> sockets had enough corrosion to short the circuit between the turn signal
> element and the running light element.
> For some reason this condition caused the blinker funkiness. A thorough
> cleaning of the bulb socket and a bit of dielectric grease solved the problem.

corroded bulbs and their sockets are a very common cause of this.
Typically, a light gets cracked, and then fills with water, which
leads to the bulb failing.  I've run into more than one car where the
headlights would fill with water, causing a failure, where the light
wasn't visibly broken.  I think the seals had just died of old age.
In one case, I drilled a small hole on the bottom of the light, which
allowed water to drain out.  I've got a small wire brush that's
designed just to clean bulb sockets.  It came from the snap-on guy,
but it's not a snap on tool,  so I'd bet they can be had from other
sources of automotive tools.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com