Re: Infrared bathroom heater

To: "PJ McGarvey" <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Infrared bathroom heater
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:42:19 -0700
At 10:58 AM  10/18/2006  -0400, PJ McGarvey wrote:
>Does anyone have experience with adding some heat to their bathroom via an
>Infrared heater.  Google searches seem to turn up only this product, sold on a
>few different websites including
>eBay.http://www.infraredheaters.com/bathheat.htmSo far, the pricing seems very
>reasonable.  I have about 40 sq. ft. in the bathroom, and unfortunately
>radiant floor heat isn't an option.  Thanks,PJ

We just had a single lamp fixture installed over the shower in the master
bath.  (We have a small forced air heater in the wall, but unless you turn
it on early it doesn't heat the shower area very well, or at all).  We had
the heat lamp installed in the ceiling about 2' outside the shower door,
and I wish we had installed two of them, too.  We had it wired to the same
circuit as the exhaust fan, and there is a twist timer on the exhaust fan
so you can't leave it running.

The biggest problem with the radiant heat lamps is that you need to pretty
much be standing under them to get any effect from them.

What I would REALLY like is to get one of the old fashioned, unvented, gas
fired wall heaters that heat the ceramic elements which in turn heat the
room.  Those things put out a bunch of heat in a bathroom (and probably
burned down a few houses).  I don't think you can get them in the US any more.