Re: gate or ball valve for house water lines?

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: gate or ball valve for house water lines?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:43:40 -0400
Mark Andy wrote:
> So what's the general group think on which type of valve to choose for
> house water lines?  Gate (I think they are... The ones with the little
> handwheel) or 1/4 turn ball valves?

I'd go with ball valves.  That's what I used on a water heater
installation a few weeks ago.

They open to practically a straight pipe for smooth flow channel and
least pressure drop.  They're more simple than the gate -- no threads,
no stem packing, no channels or sealing edges for minerals or other crud
to latch onto.  And I think there's little or no fluid pressure on the
stem, so they shouldn't have the leaks you complained of.

   -Wayne