Re: Mounting an electric hoist

To: Phil Nase <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Mounting an electric hoist
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:15:23 -0400
I have used both the folding HF hoist and a stationary hoist like you
were considering. For a little car like a Sprite, the legs of the hoist
get in the way.  I've had to raise the car to get it under.  Jack
stands  interfere with the  hoist as well.  I'm lucky enough to also
have a 4-post lift, so that's what I've done to get clearance for the
hoist: just raise it 6 inches or so.

OTOH, the stationary hoist with such a small car makes it easier to move
the car than the hoist.  Seems lots easier to me.

To mount my hoist, I assembled 3 2x4s nailed together on the 4" side,
making a 4x6 beam.  I mounted that to the ceiling across two joists
(2x8s in this case) by spanning the 16" between the joists/rafters  with
another 2x4 screwed in to the 2x8.  Then, the beam I made is screwed to
the 2x4s on each side.  Actually, I screwed the 2x4 "stringers" to the
beam before fastening the beam to the joists/rafters.  (This was a
garage under my house).

Now, all that is barely enough to support the beam itself.  The strength
for the heavy lifting comes from two lally columns on each end of the
beam, now suspended from the ceiling, to the floor.  I lifted the end of
a mid sized car with this thing!

The hoist itself in my case is an old chain fall that is hung on a chain
looped over the beam.

If my explanation isn't clear, I'm following up with a picture sent to
you off list.