Re: outside faucet not on the house...

To: mark@sccaprepared.com, "Shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: outside faucet not on the house...
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:50:08 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Aug 16, 2006 2:23 PM
Subject: outside faucet not on the house...
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net

Howdy,

So, let's pretend for a second that my wife is deathly afraid of spiders
and that our outside faucet is back in behind a flower garden / bushy area
that always has spiders around.

Its easy for me to pretend this, because she is and it is... :-)

Would it be reasonable to dig a trench out away from the house, run some
pipe (copper?) down the trench, through the celler block wall, hook it to
the water system on the inside, and run the pipe up a 2x4 post with a
regular spigot?  I could put a valve w/a drain on the inside and angle the
pipe toward the celler and shut off/drain the outside pipe in the
winter...

You could also use a frost proof hydrant.  (The red handled things you
see in farm yards and parks and the like.)  You can get less ugly
ones.

The way they work is the valve (and the whole line) is buried below
the frost line.  A rod runs throught the supply pipe and works the
valve.  I don't know where you are, and what you're frost depth is, so
it may not be practical to do this.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com