Re: generator rating requirements/brands?

To: pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: generator rating requirements/brands?
From: ScottyGrover@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 19:55:40 EDT
In a message dated 7/30/2006 3:53:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu writes:

Ron,

I used to have a gas fired A/C unit, and while it did cool  well, it
didn't de-humidify. Here in Central Texas we need to drop out 50  ` 90%
humidity just as much as we do our 100 deg temperatures. Freon A/C
have a boiling point for the refrigerant somewhere below 0 deg F. Gas
fired systems put out cold water that is circulated to the indoor coil
that is above 32 deg F. This high temperature will not dehumidify
nearly as much as the much colder freon system. I think these systems
are still available, they were a few years ago, but in all but the
driest climates they are not worth considering. I think my unit was
made by  Arkla Survel. Arkla Survel has been bought out by  Dometic.

Peace,
Pat

Ron Schmittou wrote:
> Also value  for Dollar you will probably be much better off long term
> converting  your major appliances to propane and get a large underground
> storage  tank.  This way all the heavy loads are now powered by on site
>  gas storage.  The Generator can then be run off the same source.   There
> use to be A/C units that were propane powered as well, but I  think these
> are pretty much history now.  With that said, you can  probably run the
> rest of your house on 15kw, unless you have a very  large house.
>
> Ron Schmittou

Freon-operated (better-known as Direct-eXpansion) coils do not operate cold
enough to freeze the water that condenses on the coil.  They usually cool  the
air to 68 degrees F; just the same as the Arkla-Servel units. My connection
to this--45 years as an estimator in the Air Conditioning industry, including
8  years in Dallas, serving northeastern and central Texas.
Scotty