Re: generator rating requirements/brands?

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: generator rating requirements/brands?
From: "Marknsuz" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:39:15 -0700
You should figure out a worst case 'normal' load and then look more closely
at it.  200A service means 48kW can be pumped through the house, but this is
highly unrealistic.  PG&E assumes a 200A house will burn no more than
15-20kW (I know this because I'm dealing with trying to get them to upgrade
my power pole transformer - I get a 'brownout' every time my on-demand hot
water heater and its 28kWmax kicks on).  The biggest draws will be your
heating - space, stove and hot water.  Your well is probably no more than
1000W, a modern fridge 700-1000.
So . . .  the 6500 watt unit would probably be OK, without the cooking and
hot water (or A/C).  With those, you'll need to check the ratings and size
up.  Remember that you can turn off the A/C while cooking to reduce the peak
loads.
Write back with some info off the ratings plates on the heater, hot water
heater, and A/C unit and let's look at it again.

Mark Miller