Re: Crazy electrical question

To: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Crazy electrical question
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:04:31 -0500
Ed,

Sounds like your friend has a poor connection either on that outlet or
one of the outlets between that one and the breaker panel that is
arching. If that outlet is controlled by a switch, it could be causing
the problem also. This is probably not be something that you want to
take on yourself, especially if it is not your house.

Arcing in an electrical circuit can cause heat and fire if not taken
care of properly. Since you say that you don't have a meter, I would
defer repairs to someone qualified. Until then, do not use that outlet
for anything, and if there are other outlets where lights flicker or
don't always work, don't use them either until it is repaired. Get it
looked at by a professional as soon as you can.

Any idea when the house was built? In the 70's aluminum was used for
wire for a few years. It caused this kind of problem and burned down
many buildings. Aluminum wire can be pigtailed to get it to behave
nicely, but it is something that needs to be done correctly to work and
be safe. Do it wrong and you can have more trouble than you did before!

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --