Re: Installing a shower floor

To: Martin Sukey <trmarty@glwb.net>
Subject: Re: Installing a shower floor
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 13:53:55 -0400
I did this a few years ago when I replaced a tub with a 48 inch wide
shower with a fiberglass bottom.  I did it like they show on the home
shows on TV.  I used thinset mortar.  Around the drain hole, I didn't
put a lot.  A little dribbled out the bottom, but it wasn't an issue.
That stuff sets up pretty quickly.  The shower floor has remained nice
and sturdy, no hint of flex.  I made sure the substructure was sound,
too.  As I recall, I went right over the plywood subfloor.  I believe
the  ribs reach all the way to the plywood, based on the finished
height.  The mortar fills in between and distributes the weight.