Installing a shower floor

To: "shop-talk list" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Installing a shower floor
From: "Martin Sukey" <trmarty@glwb.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:33:05 -0400
Question for the experts. I am getting ready to install a shower floor. The
instructions say to nest the shower floor in a bed of motor type material
such as Quickrete. Do they mean wet or dry? If dry, what keeps the powder
from seeping down through the opening in the sub floor around the drain and
also from coming out from the front of the unit into the bathroom for ever
more? Also I would think I would want the ribs on the underside of the unit
to contact the floor. If I put enough of the material down so that it
actually gives full support under the floor of the unit I can foresee it
holding the unit up off the sub floor. Do I have reason to worry about any
of this stuff or am I just imagining it much more troublesome than it
actually is? I have been in some unit that once installed the floor seems
kind of spongy due to flexing so I kind of think using the bedding material
is a good thing. What do you say?

Thanks,

Marty