Re: Tire rotation

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire rotation
From: "Allen Brenden" <allen.brenden@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 18:03:05 -0700
All this talk about rotation direction and the early radials tendency to
failure reminds me of when I was working in a service station (remember
those?) in the '70s. I had a lady pull in with a brand new T-bird with a low
front tire. I could hear air hissing from the tire and stupid me I ran my
hand around the tread to see where the leak was. These were Firestone
radials. As I ran my hand around I ran into where the tire had chunked out a
good size piece of tread. The steel belts were exposed and I pulled back a
bloody hand. Then it dawned on me that Firestone had a big problem with
their steel belted radials throwing the tread. As the car was new I told her
to take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. I never ran my hand
around any tires from then on. Sometimes it takes a little reinforcement to
remember little safety things like that.

Al

Allen Brenden
Lynnwood, WA USA

'76 TR7 FHC (Daily Driver)
'76 TR7 FHC (Long Term Project)
'79 TR7 DHC (project, for the daughter)
'80 TR8 DHC (current project)

Many assorted parts, all for sale
'65 Barracuda Slant Six (a whole 'nother project, daughter to practice on)

Uncles Al's Auto Wood (currently not taking orders)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1zj1z/index.htm

Outgoing mail scanned with Norton AntiVirus