RE: Tire rotation

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tire rotation
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 08:20:07 -0700
> That was an artifact of early US radial tire manufacture, which was
> generally piss-poor in quality.  Some tires were prone to belt
> separation if the direction of rotation was reversed.

Not just US radial tires, early Michelin radials had the same problem.  BTDT,
had a terrible time figuring out why the car rode like it had a flat tire, but
all the tires had air in them.

Even without reversal, carcass failure was a common problem with early radials
... the tread just lasted longer than the carcass (body) of the tire.

> Tires are better now.  There's no reason to avoid changing the direction
> of rotation of tires.

I agree with John, modern tires don't seem to have a problem with reversing
rotation.  Of course, I no longer buy "plain old all weather" tires, as I
consider high performance tires to be a safety feature.

But I still have a nagging suspicion that the main advantage of tire rotation is
that it gets you into the shop so they can try to sell you something.

Randall