RE: basic wiring question

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: basic wiring question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 23:01:18 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Mullen, Tim (IT Solutions) wrote:
> As a general rule when I wire something like this for my self, I take
> what ever wire size it "should be" and use the next larger.
>
> I figure that if something is overloaded, I want it to be the circuit
> breaker and not the wire.  I figure going too big isn't ever going to
> hurt anything, but going too small sure will...

And, if you're like me, you never know what the next version of some piece
of equipment will want.  Why not wire the outlet using the "standard"
55amp outlet and appropriate wire?

The nice thing about doing this stuff ourselves is that you can much more
easily justify the extra cost for wire, etc...  Afterall, you're already
saving a ton of money compared with paying someone to put in the
circuit... :-)

Something I learned from my 220vac outlets in the garage (55A, 6 guage 2/1
or whatever its called wire)... Use a double box if you're wiring behind
the wall.  That six guage wire _does NOT_ like to bend... :-)  The 220vac
outlets are all setup to mount to the center of a standard double box...

Mark