RE: elec wiring question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: elec wiring question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:13:22 -0700
>   Problem is that he ran only 3 wires, 2 hots and one neutral, the
> oven has a ground as well.  I looked at my air compressor that he
> wired many years ago and he ran a ground (bare) wire from the neutral
> wire to the ground post.  Is that ok ?

It's both against code, and somewhat dangerous, IMO.

>  Should I hammer a ground stake in the garage
> and wire the ground to the oven there ?

Either that, or link to the ground in the back room.  Should also be a
ground at the power entrance, you could wire to that if you want.  If you
have copper or iron pipe buried in the ground for your water entrance, you
could use that (although I think code now prohibits this, because of the
prevalence of plastic water pipes).

> or is neutral to ground good enough.

Before I'd wire neutral to ground, I'd just leave the ground open.

Another option, if you're sure the neutral runs all the way to the box
without anything else connected to it (and there is a ground rod at the
box), is to only use it as a ground.  The stove only needs neutral for the
light and clock (if present).

Randall