Trick Irwin sockets WORK!

To: Shop-Talk Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trick Irwin sockets WORK!
From: philip ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 22:45:08 -0500
I was in Menard's a couple of weeks ago buying a new blade for my
SkilSaw used in my ongoing kitchen remodel.  I saw a display of the
Irwin Bolt Extractor Sets.  The promo cards claimed that they would
work on rounded or painted-over nuts and bolt heads.  I took a chance
and bought the starter kit and the expansion kit.  All the sockets
fit in one supplied case.  I assembled the case and tossed it in the
roller cabinate.

Then today I put a six-point 14mm impact socket on a nut and wound up
the impact wrench.  It promptly rounded the nut to a pure cylinder.
I figured this was my test case.  I reached for the Irwins.  I didn't
expect the 14mm Irwin would have clearance for the bolt, but it did.
The socket sucked itself onto the nut and hung on.  I assauted that
nut for about 15 minutes with the impact wrench and it finally came
off.  These things seem to be the real deal.

To see what these things look like, see:
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?
prodId=IrwinProd100314

1962 TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1994 Miata
C package
pethier@isd.net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier