Re: Ground Source Heat Pumps (Was Shop heater)

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ground Source Heat Pumps (Was Shop heater)
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:57:41 EST
In a message dated 12/13/2005 11:10:11 AM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:

It has been a great system for me here in central Iowa and  according  to
> the local power company the added cost of the  system was recouped in
> ~6  years.

Compared to what,  straight electric heat ?

Did that include an allowance for increased  maintenance costs ?  Or shorter
lifetime ?

Not a flame, just  interested in the facts.  And for some odd reason, I don't
trust  calculations made by someone trying to sell me something,  especially
energy.

Randall
--------------
Worthy questions all. The payback comparison was to propane heat which at
the time was slightly cheaper than going straight electric heat. Even with the
rate break we get from Mid AM Energy for going all electric.
There have been no increased maintenance costs associated with the GSHP
system, though I did have to replace the ($1000) compressor 2 years ago.  I
don't
consider that an additional cost because I would expect something  similar to
fail with any other 9 year old HVAC system. $112 per year seems to  be
reasonable amount to allocate for maint./replace costs.
Lifetime of the indoor portion of the system was comparable to other  units
(5 Yr. Full Warranty). The piping used for the ground loop is  warranted for 50
years.
The calculations regarding payback time were made by a firm independent  of
the installer and the power company. Though the system was sized for this
application by the contractor, the power company required an independent
analysis
to ensure proper sizing of the system, for which I would receive a  ~$1800
rebate on the installation.
So; The GSHP cost about $3000 more than the cheapest (propane) system.  After
the $1800 rebate and due to the fact that by going all electric I get a
price break for any Kwh exceeding 1000 per month (the 1st 1000 at 8.251  cents
with any additional use at 3.263 cents per Kwh per my Feb. 2005  bill) the
payback was estimated to be ~74 months. YMMV.

Since that bill I haven't exceeded the 1000 KWH mark in any one  month.
And I run 2 refrigerators, 2 waterheaters and keep my 30x36 detached shop
heated (propane) to 60 degrees during the winter.
The house is a walk out ranch of 2x6 construction and 1860 square  feet.

BTW; I just called to have my shop propane tank refilled. At a cost  of $1.56
per gallon. OUCH!

If anyone needs more data let me know.

Shoulda installed this system in the shop too,

Bart