RE: How do I stop this madness?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: How do I stop this madness?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 13:59:34 -0800
>   I agree that it is not the mail list software, but again, not to point
> fingers, but it must be said, it is caused by users that are handling
> their mail through gateways that are munging headers.
>
>   It is not the fault of the receiver in any way.

I suppose "whose fault" is a philosophical question that could be debated
endlessly.

But, the simple fact is that if you care whether your email is properly
sorted, you should set up a filter that will properly sort it.  Setting up a
bad filter and then claiming it's someone else's fault that your filter
doesn't work just seems silly to me.  Besides, I don't recall anything that
says the "To" field must be filled in to your specification.

BTW, I did not use any "gateway that munges headers" to break everyone's
filter.  Granted, it was an example to both demonstrate the problem and
prove a point, but if all the other software will handle such a message
properly, and your software won't ... mine handled it just as I wanted, with
the list post put in it's proper folder.

To put it another way, your filter is something that YOU can control.  Other
people sending messages to the list that are not formatted to your
satisfaction is not.

Randall