RE: Main Circuit Breaker (lack of)

To: "Shop-Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Main Circuit Breaker (lack of)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:31:32 -0800

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

> In this type of system, how is it possible to safely
> work inside the box, for example to replace a
> defective breaker?  It is necessary to remove the
> electrical meter itself to shut off the power?  Can
> this even be done without getting the electric company
> involved?

My house is the same way.  I have to call the electric company to unlock the
meter to shut off power to the box.  I've been told that they will leave it
unlocked for a time if you ask them to, but I've not asked yet.

Of course I could just cut the lock off, but there's a good chance they'd want
me to pay for it.

Randall