RE: What a day.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What a day.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:21:48 -0700
> No it sits there stone cold. Nothing, no noise or anything.

Should be easy to find the problem with an ohmmeter, then.  Most healthy
induction motors will show as a short on an ohmmeter, but if you had conduction,
you'd also get noise (and smoke).

> I was wondering how to really test these large caps?

I can't remember the formula offhand, but you can test them with a filament
transformer (ie 6vac or something similar) and a moving coil AC voltmeter (or
presumably a load resistor and a digital AC voltmeter).  Work out the impedance
of the capacitor at 60 Hz and do the math.

Usually, you can also do a crude test just by first shorting the terminals
together and then putting your ohmmeter across them.  The resistance should
start out low and then increase to infinity, as the current source in the
ohmmeter charges the capacitor.  How fast it increases depends on your ohmmeter
and how much capacity the capacitor has.

Randall