looking for mig welder

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: looking for mig welder
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:30:06 -0700 (PDT)
OK, so I'm close to convincing myself to buy one. Information
on the net is mostly old or scattered; it seems that the
bigger names are Hobart, Lincoln and Miller, and they all
make low-end machines that are great. I'm really looking for
a 110V machine.

Home Despot carries the Lincoln, which is convenient, but I'll
probably stop by the local welding supply shop too see what they
offer - maybe they have used. I like supporting the small local
player.

I see that Harbor Freight has reconditioned Hobart Handler 135 at
a good price (but not as cheap as the Lincoln).

I know about the Italian made ones that are a lot
cheaper. Since I don't expect to do a *lot* of welding, I
don't know if it makes more sense to cheap out and live with
it, or have a deluxe machine for the few times I need it.

Anyone have good thoughts about the current market? Are Hobart
and Miller still the same company?