HEPA filter problem

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: HEPA filter problem
From: Larry Spector <lspector@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:21:55 -0400
I've got an Amaircare HEPA filter that I'm not able to use it due to
an odor it produces when running. There is a vinegar like smell that
seems to come from the motor assembly, only when plugged in and turned
on. The smell is not there when the unit is not running. I have also
confirmed that the smell IS there even when the filter cartridge is
removed.

Any ideas as to what may be producing the smell? There are 3 large
capacitors that I'm guessing are part of the startup and/or speed
control circuits. Is it possible that they're outgassing? Other than
the capacitors, the motor itself is all that's inside the case.

Thanks,
Larry