Re: HEPA filter problem

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HEPA filter problem
From: "E. John Puckett" <ejpuckett@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:59:52 -0500
Your description sounds very much like a leaky capacitor.  look very
closely at the end where the leads attach.  There is normally a little
opening in the insulator that forms the end with a rubber like diaphragm
in it.  this is a safety release in case the capacitor goes bad so it
can vent pressure.  look very closely for one of those vents to have
burst.  other possibility is if it has an ion type needle in it.
sometimes the ozone form them is noticeable by people.  If that's the
problem you can disable the power supply for the needle.

Larry Spector wrote:

>I've got an Amaircare HEPA filter that I'm not able to use it due to
>an odor it produces when running. There is a vinegar like smell that
>seems to come from the motor assembly, only when plugged in and turned
>on. The smell is not there when the unit is not running. I have also
>confirmed that the smell IS there even when the filter cartridge is
>removed.
>
>Any ideas as to what may be producing the smell? There are 3 large
>capacitors that I'm guessing are part of the startup and/or speed
>control circuits. Is it possible that they're outgassing? Other than
>the capacitors, the motor itself is all that's inside the case.
>
>Thanks,
>Larry

 John
another one of them