plowing, WOW?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: plowing, WOW?
From: Eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:53:48 -0400
Who would have thought that adding a plow is so expensive!!?

First, what I found out so far...
Ebay is not an option unless you have a common plow truck or already have
the mount on your truck.  Many of the plows there are for mount kits that
are no longer availible.

new plows are WAY expensive.  Talking in the $3000- $4000 range!

There are cheaper plows that mount in the 2" receiver hitch of a truck (one
is totally not powered and one is only up and down.)

used plow trucks can be bought for cheaper than most plows.

OK, Here are my questions..

1-Has anyone used one of the 2" receive type plows?  Are they worth it?
Can they move more than 1" of snow?

2-I'm weighting the benefits of getting a new plow (I found one for $2600
not install or $29 installed)  Any idea how hard they are to install?  Is
it worth the $300 to have someone else do it?

3-I'm considering the idea of a plow truck (I can buy a Jeep CJ with a plow
for $2800)  I'm wondering if the damage to my truck is going to be great if
I'm plowing enough to have another truck to kill instead.  (it's another
set of insurance and registration each year however.)

Any other feedback is welcomed.  Again, I'm not looking to make a business
out of plowing.  I just need to do my driveway (long) and a few other small
ones (friends, tenants, neighbor)

Thanks.

Inch
http://megageek.com

 "Did you exchange, a walk-on part in the war,
for a lead role in a cage?"  R Waters.