Re: home standby generator

To: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: home standby generator
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:50:06 -0700
I know your situation....my standby generator is an 8KW Hobart
welder/generator.  It's enough to run the furnace (propane) blower,
freezer, fridge, some lights, microwave and the well pumps.  I had to
install two manual transfer switches, one for the house, one for the
well.  Manually connected S/O cord, too.  Kinda of a PITA to hook it up at
10:00 at night in the snow.

I don't need to run central A/C (Washington State) but I do want to be able
to run the entire house.  I plan to install about a 15 KW generator with an
auto transfer switch right at the meter.  We have propane heat and stove,
not natural gas, with a big wood stove for back up heat and cooking if
necessary.  I don't want to burn up all my propane running a generator, so
I am going to install a diesel.  It will cost more up front, but a good
diesel should be more reliable than a spark ignition engine, and diesel
fuel keeps a LOT better than gasoline.  I can install a 100 gallon (or so)
fuel tank which should last quite a while, and in a dire emergency I could
probably find diesel more easily than propane.  I can also burn it in my
tractors, so an appreciable fraction would be rotating through the tank.