Re: the annual "compressor lines" question.

To: Eric@megageek.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the annual "compressor lines" question.
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:29:18 -0700
   Problem with black iron is fitting it, if you have access to a
threader (and someone else posted a cheapie at HF on this thread
already) then it might work out but other wise you will be making
compromises all over the place because of the length of pipe.  Then
you have rust eventually which could cause problems with your tools.
And one other item is that most (not all) installations of pipe I
have seen are actually a bunch of leaks connected together by pipe.

  Problem with copper is at the compressor, some people have had
problems with the joint coming loose, I silver soldered mine for the
first few connections and never have had a problem.  Other problem is
cost (but I think that is minor compared to the problems).

   Copper has no rust, no leaks and at least for me has been enough
of a heat sink to not have moisture problems at the tools.  After
about 2 years, I decided I wanted to add a drop and it was a piece of
cake to cut and splice it in, would not have been so easy with pipe.
For my money copper wins no contest, the money may be more (have you
priced out all the nipples, fittings for pipe, they add up) and the
ease of assembly and modifications is worth whatever it might cost
more.  Leak free is a big plus.

  I went with 3/4 all over including the drops.  At the compressor, I
have a 1" nipple coming out of the compressor to a 1" x 18" long flex
hose and a 1" to 3/4" nipple there, about 4" of copper and a 90 that
goes up to the ceiling, all those connections are silver soldered and
after that just plain sweated on.  I have no regulator on the copper
so it has full 175psi tank pressure and I have regulators at each
drop, costs more than one regulator at the beginning of the pipe but
this way I don't have to walk back and forth to change pressure and
can have different pressure at different locations.  4 years and
holding and I am happy with it, one of my better projects in my shop.

        Mike

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
       mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/