Re: the annual "compressor lines" question.

To: <Eric@megageek.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: the annual "compressor lines" question.
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:48:05 -0500
A response based on my experience with the same task. I have a tendency
to over engineer so the pipe sizes may be too big, but I only had to do it
once and increasing the size later would be difficult.

I have a large compressor in the basement and have a high flow filter, dryer
and a regulator in the line before it is distributed to the garage and the
basement
shop. The filter and dryer are at the tanks 155 - 175 lbs and the regulator
drops the pressure so the distribution lines are at a fairly constant 135.
I have several small regulators, filters, driers, etc. that are plugged in
as-needed
to the drop line and/or tool hose in the garage or the basement. They clean up
and reduce the 135 to what ever the tool happens to need.

YMMV.

> I'm getting ready to plumb the new shop with air lines.  I was thinking of
> running a line completely around the top of the shop and have drops from
> there.  I'm pretty comfortable with how I'm going to run the pipes.

That is what I did and am very happy with the results. A 3/4 inch loop with
1/2 inch drops. The drop is a 3/4 to 1/2 reducing 'T' facing up, then over to
the wall, then down the wall. At the end of the drop is a 1/2 'T' with a 3/8
copper to pipe thread adapter for the air fitting and ball valve for the drop
drain.

There is one drop at the lowest part of the loop that is not 'up and over' but
straight down. It's primary function in life is to drain the loop, but it also
has
an air fitting on it.

> It seems like copper is great and easy, but expensive.
> Iron is cheaper but a pain to work with.

Again, just my experience. The 175 lb stuff was put together with 3/4 iron
pipe because that is what the filter, dryer and regulator required. The
first attempt was with Teflon tape and it leaked at every joint. I took
it all apart and used Teflon paste and had much better luck, but I still
do not believe the joints are perfect.

Everything after the 175 - 135 lb regulator is copper with silver solder joints.
All of the copper joints appear to work first time every time. IMHO
the hassle factor with the copper is so much less than the PITA iron pipe
that the additional expense of the copper is not a consideration.

Arvid