Re: weedwhacker style carbs...

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: weedwhacker style carbs...
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 15:21:21 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>  Get new fuel in there. The plug, probably less important for now, but
> if it's original fuel, it wouldn't run well under any circumstances. Use
> air-cooled 2 cycle oil, not the water cooled stuff. It's designed to run
> at higher temps.

Interesting... I didn't know there was a difference in two stroke oil
between air & water cooled motors.  Which is designed to run hotter... The
Air cooled stuff?  What symptoms will using water cooled oil in an air
cooled motor have?  I think its likely i used some old redline two stroke
oil I had laying around from my GP motorcycle (2 stroke) days...

>  Take the carb apart and spray carb cleaner everywhere and in every
> little orifice and passage. It probably contains a tiny fuel diaphragm
> fuel pump, inspect it but be careful with the diaphragm it might be
> reusable if it's still pliable.

The fuel pump is in the carb or separate?

>  Reassemble and test. Nothing too fancy about it, probably only has one
> mixture adjustment, not the usual high/low speed. Adjust it until it
> runs ok. If it has high and low speed, adjust the high speed one first
> so it runs nice first and then set the low speed one so it idles without
> stalling second.
>
>  It probably also has an idle stop that might need to be adjusted if it
> dies at idle but will idle if you give it a teensy bit of throttle.

Yeah, it'll idle fine usually (both on and off the choke), until you give
it even a tiny bit of throttle (like, anything at all, well below the rpm
the clutch kicks in at so there's no load), then it dies.

>  Not much too them. Prime cause of failure is blocked passages in the
> carb from old gas, and fuel pumps that don't pump because the diaphragm
> has lost it's pliability.

Ok, that gives me some stuff to try.  Thanks!

Mark