Re: weedwhacker style carbs...

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: weedwhacker style carbs...
From: "Doug" <dougm1000@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:01:40 -0700
Mark Andy wrote:
Subject: weedwhacker style carbs...

 weedwhacker based, motor.

> Since new, its required choke to start if it was at all cold, along with
> having a slight hesitation/die when you give it throttle off idle, before
> it catches again (assuming its warm) and accelerates.
>
> Nowadays, after a year of neglect, it starts pretty hard (like 20 pulls on
> full choke) and once its running doesn't like to go off choke very soon at
> all and when I rev it enough that it doesn't immediately die, it'll idle
> ok and run at speed ok, but the hesitation on initial throttle application
> is really bad, to the point where its likely to stall.

It seems all weedwacker motors are hard to start and a primer button sure
helps.

It sounds like you might have some varnish build-up inside your carb as
well.  If the machine sat for the last year with gas in the carb it probably
fouled inside.  1 year old gas also causes problems in these smaller motors
(I just went through this with a small Stihl powersaw).

If your needle adjustments don't give you a fix then take off the carb and
clean the inside and the jets and fill it with fresh gas.

Doug