Re: home networking

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: home networking
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 21:25:32 -0400
Mike Rambour wrote:

>> MAC filtering is one of the biggest jokes in wireless security.  Along
>> with don't broadcast the SSID, use WEP, keep the WAP in the center of
>> the house, disable DHCP, etc....
>

>   its off-subject but can I ask why is MAC filtering a joke ?  I realize
> it is extremely easy to spoof a MAC address but the guy in the street
> parking his car and trying to use my wi-fi connection will not know my
> MAC addresses, so it would seem secure.

   Your MAC is broadcast in every packet you send.

   If someone is in the neighbourhood and either laptop is on, usable
MAC addresses will appear instantly on scanner software.

   It's more like a license plate than a password. It should be unique
and identify you, but it's not a secret.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca