Re: home networking

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: home networking
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:17:13 -0400
Hooray - I have something to add!

With regards to home networking, I ran into the same issues. Wireless is
convenient and quite affordable, but lacks the bandwidth that 100Mbit
ethernet provides (let alone gigabit!). 802.11g is pretty good - but
with protocol and security overhead, you'll be lucky to ever see 18Mbit
throughput with it. That said, it's perfectly good for making full use
of most home internet connections. It is not as good for fast LAN
transfer (such as from the TiVo to the desktop workstation). As far as
security concerns goes, I like to keep it simple (I use only 64-bit WEP
at home) because any of the traffic I'm concerned about keeping safe is
encrypted other ways. The WEP is only there to keep the casual observer
out. Those who want to get onto my network will do so. I just want to
keep those who are looking to abuse my bandwidth from just jumping on.

I live in a rented 3-story townhouse, so hacking holes in the walls is
not an option. I had initially just installed my wireless-capable
DSL/cable router and used its wireless 802.11b to service the house (and
long wires under the carpet to serve the lower level, where the
cablemodem was located). This was not satisfactory, because signal
strength from the single access point (which wasn't as centrally located
as I would have liked) was inadequate at the further reaches of the
house. That, and the limited throughput of 802.11b was frustrating when
transferring files across the LAN.

Without the option of running my own wiring, I tried HPNA. I found that
for under $100, you can acquire a couple of HPNA bridges that allow you
to make use of up to 1000' of whatever two-conductor media you have in
(and out of) the house. (One note - make sure the HPNA is 2.0 or better
- anything less is slower than 802.11b.) In my townhouse, I'm using old
300 ohm twinlead to get an additional telephone outlet in an
inconvenient location) over which I'm running HPNA with no trouble. In
fact one of my HPNA units bridges has a built-in 802.11b access point
and a 4-port 10/100 switch, all of which are on the same network - I use
that upstairs in my office. I have had good luck with the 2Wire
HomePortal series - they come in a variety of flavors - some with
built-in 4-port switches, some with access-points, etc.

Adding an additional access point is not difficult - there are just a
few rules to follow. Use the same security credentials (same SSID,
WAP/WPA settings) and set the channels so they don't overlap (1, 6, 11
are the only full-throughput non-overlapping channels on 802.11b/g). One
can cover a lot of area with careful placement of the unit and attention
to antenna selection (and orientation). Remember that the maximum signal
from the antennae on the access points is not from the tip, but 90
degrees from the antenna's long axis...

-Peter

Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Vienna, VA