RE: home networking

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: home networking
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:32:31 -0700
> what I don't get is the cable ---> computers setup.  isc guy
> mentioned needing a drop block, a router and some other stuff not
> found at home depot (don't know where else to shop for this stuff).

Almost any place that carries computer stuff should have it.  Around here,
that's Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc.

> what I thought I was doing was coax --> cable modem --> router -->
> cat5 --> computers.  now I'm not so sure that's right.

That's right, except there will also be Cat 5 between the cable modem and
router.  You may want to consider putting the router in a more central location
than the modem, since you will be running separate Cat 5 from it to each fixed
computer.  Wireless generally works better from a central location as well.

Comcast owns my cable modem, so they want to run the coax to it.  Doubt they'd
object if I ran my own, as long as it was well done, but why bother ?  If the
coax is theirs, there's less chance for argument about who's fault it is when
(not if) the modem can't talk to the Internet.

Randall