Re: home networking

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: home networking
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:38:32 -0700
> what I thought I was doing was coax --> cable modem --> router -->
> cat5 --> computers.  now I'm not so sure that's right.

If you're goin to do it right, then...

http://www.tselectronic.com/belden/7913s.html

These guys were the cheapest in town for this stuff, even after
shipping, at least as of a year ago, I'm not sure how their prices
compare now.

Typically you home-run this (pull all your drops back to a single
central location) and use something like:

http://www.tselectronic.com/leviton_lin/47605_42w.html
http://www.tselectronic.com/leviton_lin/47603_pte.html

and so forth to terminate it all.

The cabinets are cheap, always get the biggest you've got room for, coax
in particular is bulky as hell inside a cabinet.

I ended up with OnQ cabinets, wouldn't do it again (they're fine, but
not as easy to get stuff for as Leviton, and as they're now owned by
Leviton...) and I'v got 2 42in (one for voice/data Cat5E, one for
coax/video) and a 28in (for IR and other stuff.)

John.