Suburban Trailer Hitch Help

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suburban Trailer Hitch Help
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:09:34 -0500
Ok I have a real challenge on my hands.  I have a '95 Suburban that I
would like to use as a tow vehicle.

Problem is the DPO installed a roll pan bumper on the truck.  While
this is not a problem on the pickup, on the Suburban, it involves
cutting a couple inches off the frame rails.    Those last two inches
are where the rear trailer hitch mounting holes were located.

I didn't realise what had been done when I bought the truck because he
also cut the rear mounting ears off the hitch and bolted it back on.
So now I have a hitch that I don't trust (four bolts instead of six)
and no way to install a new one.

I went to a couple places in town, and no one will touch it.  The body
shop said it would cost about $1500 to repair the frame, install a
standard bumper and new hitch.  They were not interested in doing the
work.

None of the local hitch places will even consider working on the
truck.  Anyone have any suggestions of how I can get this truck into
shape for towing for less than $1000?

John