Re: wood overhead

To: Skip Albright <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>
Subject: Re: wood overhead
From: James Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:13:07 -0400
Another idea for you.  I did this in my garage for an extra margin of
safety.

If you scab some 2x's along the rafter to strengthen the beam, then
support it at each side with an adjustable support column (lally
column???) commonly used in basements, you will have a very strong
apparatus to lift most anything.  For cheap.

In my application, I screwed together 3 2x4s and attached them to the
drywall ceiling in my garage.  When lifting chores are called for, I put
the columns in place, hook a hoist over the wood, and lift away.  I have
lifted lots of engines this way, and hoist my big motorcycles (500# to
700#) this way to put them on stands to work on.