RE: wood overhead

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wood overhead
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:49:01 -0700
> In my elderly garage I have 2x8 rafters.  I need to pull motors with a
> chain fall or come-a-long.
> I know a single 2x8 wont stand the gaff.
> If I scab on some more 2x's it will strengthen the beam, but not improve
> the weak points where the beam meets the sidewall.

Wood is strongest in compression, and the top plates in the wall should spread
the load across 2 or 3 studs ... most likely you won't have a problem.  I've
pulled motors in my garage, after scabbing some 2x8s together for the rafters,
and the sidewalls never even groaned.

But, depending on the situation, you can add more studs beside the existing
ones, or even posts near the existing wall.

Personally, I bought one of those cheap hydraulic engine hoists at HF.  Makes
engine pulling much easier, and disassembles easily and stores against the wall
when I'm not using it.  I didn't get the "folding" kind, as mine actually takes
up less floor space with a few bolts pulled out.  Got a rope tied around it, in
case of earthquakes.

Randall