Re: wood overhead

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wood overhead
From: "Chadwick E. Labno" <clab@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:59:19 -0400
I have a folding engine hoist from Norther Tool, came with an engine
stand for under $200. I had 2 problems pulling the engine out of my
1980 Camaro. First, the forward end of  the horizontal supports (front legs)
were too high to fit under the lower control arms of the car requiring 2X6s
to be placed under the front tires. Second, the length of the boom did not
allow attachment to the engine at a balance point (engine and gearbox pulled
and installed as an assembly) The vertical hoist support was pressed
into the
plastic front fascia of the car. Something to consider when purchasing a
hoist.
One last thing, I'm going the 2X6s and chain hoist route using a winch to
control the car.