Re: HF Air Compressor?

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: HF Air Compressor?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:08:49 -0400
Randall wrote:

> If I had 3-phase, I would definitely buy a used industrial
> compressor on eBay !  They frequently go for 30% or less of
> the price of a new unit, and even one near the end of it's service
> life would last a long time under hobbyist usage, IMO.

I am even more thrifty than Randall, so I wouldn't buy one on eBay.  I
bought my compressor on Craig's List < www.craigslist.com > last year.  It
is a 60gal tank, 5hp motor (23AMP running on 220V) motor and a two stange
(175psi) three cylinder pump.  Works great, I changed the crankcase oil and
put new air filters in and it has been wonderful.  Cost me $200.  In the
Philadelphia area, big compressors come up fairly routinely on Craig's List,
usually two or three every month.

Eagle Equipment still sells the compressor I bought, but new direct from
them for about $880.  So there is a substantial savings in buying used and
shopping around.

Oh, I also have a 20 gallon / 4HP HF air compressor that I bought to use at
home for finish nailing and other small home tasks.  It works well, but it
leaks oil everywhere... really annoying, typical HF quality.  But for $150
it was still worth the investment for what I have used it for.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics