Re: Lug nuts

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lug nuts
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanz1@msu.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 23:02:44 -0400
On Apr 30, 2005, at 10:08 PM, Matt Wehland wrote:
> On Saturday 30 April 2005 09:27 am, Randall wrote:
>>> I've immediately purchased standard
>>> lugnuts to replace the locks on every car I've owned since.
>>
>> Likely the first time you go to the car to commute to work in the
>> morning,
>> and discover it only has 3 wheels on the ground, you'll change your
>> mind.
>> Doesn't take a genius to figure out to keep the key in the glovebox.
>
> And then you'll change your mind when your out in the woods and the
> key (that
> was in the glove box) breaks while trying to remove the flat.  Walk to
> nearest house, hoping that they actually have a phone and don't shoot
> first,
> get tow truck guy out there, have truck towed to the new house (was
> just
> bringing the first load down in a 300 mile move) and then meet new
> neighbors
> in the morning to use their phone to find a shop that had the lock
> remover
> and get towed over there.  Then find out that the size lock remover
> that I
> needed was cracked also.  Luckily I had beat the snot out of the lock
> while
> on the side of the road and it was loose enough to remove, but they
> couldn't
> get the other 3 locks off (I had them removed later and gave them the
> floatation test).
>
> I think I'll take my chances with the thieves.

I'm with you.  I've used splined two piece lug nuts on a race car.  The
removal tool was a good quality item.  We also bought an extra one for
the track bag so that we would never be surprised not to have it.
Other than that, I'll go without locking lug nuts.  Any reasonable
thief can get them off faster than the guys at the local tire shop
anyway.

> Actually after this incident I've heard of another way (use at your
> own risk)-
> loosen the other nuts and then drive a few feet.  The last nut (the
> lock)
> will come loose.  Just don't go too fast or far, and only lightly
> loosen the
> other nuts, be caeful to not let everything get too loose and wobble
> too much
> and screw up the holes in the rim.  I think I'd drive a little and
> then check
> the lock and then drive some more if I have too, just back and forth.

That's just crazy enough to try when I'm stranded at the side of the
road.  I'm on it.