Re: Shop lighting-l.e.d.s?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Subject: Re: Shop lighting-l.e.d.s?
From: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:31:51 -0500
Hope its ok to jump in on the shop lighting question with a different rather
simple question.

I use my garage chiefly on weekends.  I have standard florescent fixtures,
with, I think  6' long tubes in them.  I've never had to change the tubes since
I've installed them, about 8 years ago.

Should these florescent tubes be changed on a regular basis for optimal
lighting.  Do they get dim after a while or just stop working?  The ends, of
course, are getting dark, but they all still work ok, although they do seem to
be getting dimmer (or is it my old age and changing eyesight?)

Anyone shed some light on this for me?  (sorry, couldn't resist)

Gene