WOOT! the tig is here!

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: WOOT! the tig is here!
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:41:04 -0500
got a good deal on the welder I learned (such as it is) to weld on.
miller a/b p tig, with spoolgun, cooler, etc.  the, uh, chance to
actually buy it and keep it at the house may have, uh, temporarily
overwhelmed my better judgement, and I've got it in the back of the
truck without wiring the garage to accept it.

so, I need to run a new 240 plug off the breaker box.  I'm comfortable
with household wiring, but I've never run a new line out of a main box.
can anyone point a page - I know I remember reading about this very
procedure somewhere not too long ago, but maybe it was a magazine,
because google doesn't see it.  dimly remember 'bus bars' etc., but
that's about it.

and something to discuss: this is a 300 amp input machine.  clearly I
won't be using all that - the house is only 200 amp service.  but can I
run a 100 amp breaker off a 200 amp box?  I can't imagine it being the
case, but might the lower current hurt the welder - like a 'brown out'
condition?  am I going to need to shut off the house to weld (not that
that would be a hardship, but I thought I should warn the better
half...man, what a cool new toy.  I'm going to build a battleship or
something...)

I suppose I could let an electrician do this and wire that surge
supressor at the same time...but that would be wrong.  and so far I'll
be doing good to get somebody out here week after next.  can't wait that
long to play with the new shiny-shiny.