Re: Chain Saw Recommendations

To: <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Subject: Re: Chain Saw Recommendations
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:33:36 +0000
At 11:15 23/03/05 -0500, you wrote:

>I have all the necessary safety gear, I have a number of sets safety glasses
>and full face shields that I use everyday in the shop, and they'll double
>fine for tree duty.

Kai,

If you decide to go down the rental route it might be worth checking if the
firm offers protective clothing as well as the saw. Thinking particularly
of ballistic trousers, legs being the part of the anatomy that comes off
worst in many chainsaw accidents.

FWIW chainsaws are hard to find on the rental market here in the UK because
of safety concerns. One national firm I deal with insists that renters
attend their premises to view a 20 min dvd safety presentatation and that
the viewer signs that he will be the user. On top of that they issue full
protective clothing as part of the rental. I rented a Jonsereds saw with a
16 inch blade from them last autumn. Great performing saw but all the
safety features made it very counterintuitive to start. The Scandinavians
seem to have sorted out chainsaws well so you would safe with a Husqvarna
or Jonsereds plus Stihl (German).

Somebody mentioned ropes, it's good practice to use a rope to try to
control the fall of branches. Also it helps you put a little tension on the
cutting area. "Put tension on surfaces to be cut" as they taught you in
zoology at school.

Sounds as though you might be needing a logsplitter by the time you've
finished sawing...

Nick Brearley