Re: Chain Saw Recommendations

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>,
Subject: Re: Chain Saw Recommendations
From: "David C." <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:20:36 -0800
I would second (or third or fourth) the Stihl motion.  I have two of them,
one with a 16" or so bar, and the other with a 28" bar.  I dunno the engine
size but both are "Pro" models and have a compression release, which I
haven't really had to use.  I also have an older John Deere, which is just
an Echo with a green paint job, and the Sthils are a much better saw in
terms of power.  the Echo has been a very reliable saw, though, I will give
it that much.  I cut two or three cords of wood a year.

I also agree about felling- it's often safer to hire it done, and do the
bucking and limbing yourself.  I don't do much of it anymore myself, after
having to fix a bunch of holes in the roof that a small hemlock punched in
it with the branches when it landed lengthwise on top of the house....I
will still take down very small alder and hemlock if they are a ways away
from anything and I have a clear escape route, but I have an old hemlock
that is about 24 through the butt (and it's a crooked butt, too) that is
gonna be hired out.

Dave C