Re: Chain Saw Recommendations

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chain Saw Recommendations
From: <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:15:16 -0500
Wow!  Thanks everyone for their input.

First, Arvid had the excellent idea of just renting a chain saw for a day or
two.  That is probably the best solution for me, I had not even thought of
that possibility.  The local equipment rental place has always had excellent
pro-grade equipment for everything else I have rented in the past.

Second, before even considering the idea of downing the tree myself, I had
recieved four quotes (including a quote from the guy that has done my tree
service in the past).  There are two trees that need removal, and everyone
was around $2500 for the pair.  The second tree I am not even going to
consider removing myself, it is too close to two standing structures and it
hugs a property line.

I did decide that I will remove the tree in my front yard myself.  It is a
cost savings of about $1100 (the 2nd tree is MUCH larger) and this tree grew
in such a way that removing limbs is going to be quite safe and easy.  The
main trunk is only about 8ft tall and then there are five or six main
branches that depart, divergently, from the main trunk.  They all depart the
trunk at same point and at relatively low angles to the ground, which sort
of makes the center of the tree hollow (no limbs directly above your head).
I have stood in this intersection of limbs before and it is a very stable
platform to conduct work on.  The trunk is roughly 20" in diameter, and the
main branches stemming from the trunk are no more than 10" in diameter.  The
tree is wider (40ft) than it is tall (maybe 30ft).

And just to assure everyone, there are no standing structures near this
tree.  My house is quite a bit away from even the most far reaching branch.
Just some flower beds are in jeopardy, and all the cars in my driveway are
easily moved out of harms way as well.

I have all the necessary safety gear, I have a number of sets safety glasses
and full face shields that I use everyday in the shop, and they'll double
fine for tree duty.  I will also borrow some help for the day in the form of
my brother and father.  If anyone is likely to get injured, it will be my
brother, which is why he will be no where near the saw.

The other savings comes from the fact that I won't have to buy two cords of
firewood this fall... which is another savings of about $250.  And while I
am thrifty (I really dislike paying people to do work that I can do) I also
get personal satisfaction from taking on large challenges and completing
them successfully.  I have demo'd a two story structure before without
injury and I think the tree is a little easier in comparison.

Thanks again!  I'll be sure to post next week and let everyone know I am
still alive ;-)

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke