Re: Rhino Ramps

To: Eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: Rhino Ramps
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:59:12 -0500
Eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Easy fix, get a large piece of carpet  (big enough to have both ramps on
> and the rear tires on.)

    Although long carpet to the rear wheels would probably work better,
you can probably get by just getting carpet under the front wheels even
if it's a RWD car. Only needs about 3 feet of carpet.

    Obviously if the driven wheels are pinning down the carpet that's
ideal, but even just the extra friction of the carpet held down by the
weight of the car is usually enough to get the car up the ramps.

   YMMV of course.

> IMHO, buy a car lift.  They are the coolest thing!!  (I can't believe how
> many times I life up cars "just to check the underside" since I put it in!
> 8>)

   You know, I'm kind of the opposite. I have a lift, but use it a lot
less than you might think. Oil changes, for example, I find much faster
to just do where the car sits.

   Some friends are surprised by this as well, since they ask "can I use
your lift for oil changes"? Without trying to be stingy with helping
friends, I usually say "sure, but I don't even use it for my own oil
changes".

   In the time it takes me to shuffle cars and get the target car up on
the hoist, I'm usually done a normal oil change.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca