Re: Rhino Ramps

To: "John Miller" <jem@milleredp.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rhino Ramps
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:34:51 -0600
> > And I agree on the extentions.  Lots of my vehicles have needed them,
> > sports car or not.
>
> Absent a manufactured extension, a chunk of 2x8 laid on the ground in
> front of the ramp helps - bevel the leading edge if you're truly anal.
>
> John

I'd bet that these ramps will fit almost any car - they have a long ramp and
a very low front lip - maybe 1/4".  My Mustang Cobra is low-hanging in front
(larger floor jacks won't fit), but it'll be no problem dragging on the
ramp.

And the long angle makes it even harder to understand how the ramps squirt
out when the truck is fully on the ramp, nearly at the top - consider the
force vectors.  The only improvement I could see would be a full rubber
base, and maybe rounding the ramp into the dropoff into the top platform.
But the design looks very good to me as is except for the traction problem.
I think some thin rubber floor mats might help, or the long carpet/rope/etc
idea, tying the ramps to the rear wheels.  Or only working on 4WD / FWD
vehicles rather than the RWD ones I prefer.

Karl