Rhino Ramps

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rhino Ramps
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:41:08 -0600
40 years of working on cars and I've never used any ramps.  No particular
reason, it's just not that hard to jack the car up and use jackstands.  One
thing always bothered me about ramps though -- it's always seemed to me that
they'd scoot out from under the tires when you try to drive up on them.

Yesterday I decided to try the 12,000-pound capacity (really 3,000 pounds
each) Rhino Ramps.  They look well-built, and for $30 seem like a good way to
speed up oil changes.  Lots of people use them - must be no problem.

The first car, my daughter's fwd Olds went up just fine, I changed the oil,
and away she went.  Then I tried to drive the Suburban up.  As soon as I got
near the top, the ramps would just squirt out forward, despite the weight of
the truck and the single rubber foot under the front of each ramp.  Finally,
after 5 tries, I threw it in 4WD and climbed right up.  Don't know what will
happen when I try to drive one of the Mustangs up, but I bet without fwd the
ramps will shoot out just like with the Suburban.

Is it just me and my crappy asphalt driveway, or is this typical with ramps?
Do I have to block them in place somehow or anchor them to a long board that
will extend under the rear tires (thus making storage a real PIA) ??
More/better/bigger rubber feet?

Karl