RE: Consumer Reports (was : car batteries. who do you trust?)

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Consumer Reports (was : car batteries. who do you trust?)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:56:21 -0800
> > I've never liked CU much
> [...]
> > In spite of their claims, they do take money to not say bad
> > things !
>
> You seem to be making this as a statement of fact.  Can you cite any
> evidence to support it?

I don't have the links to hand but I'm sure you can turn them up with Google.
Basically, CU reviewed the Isuzu Trooper and rated it Unacceptable in spite of
the fact it has no more propensity to roll over than the Ford Bronco II.  CU
eventually admitted the Bronco was just as bad ... but the Isuzu article was
plastered all over page 1, while the Ford story was in small type on page 19 and
delayed for many months until after the Bronco was taken off the market.  It was
later revealed that Ford had donated some $300,000 to CU to build a research
facility.

Of course this isn't proof in a court of law, and Isuzu lost their lawsuit
against CU (basically the court held that the 1st amendment guarantees CU's
right to lie if they feel like it).  But whether or not it influenced CU's
reporting on the Bronco vs the Trooper (how else do you explain one being front
page news and the other buried on page 19 ?) ... they DID take money from Ford.

Ok, here's just one link, find the rest yourself :
http://www.fordfound.org/elibrary/documents/1999/049.cfm

Scroll down and you'll see that Ford gave CU $152,000 in 1999.

Randall