Re: HPNA (was... Wireless Internet Networks)

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: HPNA (was... Wireless Internet Networks)
From: "Steve Hammatt" <GSteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:28:06 -0800
Lots of great information and I'm trying to look at all alternatives.
Ethernet would require the re-digging of a trench across the
gravel driveway plus installation of 200' of cable.
Wireless would require going through the walls of two structures
and mounting outside antenna (inside wireless won't work).
However, we do have a couple of existing pairs of unused
telephone connections between the house and guest house
office.  Therefore, I'm now exploring the HomePNA system
where existing telephone wires are used to carry the signal.
HPNA 3.0 is supposed to be the latest version and highest
speed.  HPNA 2.0 was good for 10mbps while the newer
3.0 version is hyped up to 100+mbps.
All that said, I don't see any great leap toward the use of
HPNA.  Any experience out there?

If it's do-able, then this would be my quickest way home.

Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon WA USA