Re: Workshop Floor

To: "nick brearley" <nick@landform.co.uk>, "Tom Bott"
Subject: Re: Workshop Floor
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 05:09:45 -0600
Some of you might remember that I own a company that makes a veneer stone
out of Concrete.... so every day I go through about a pallet of cement. ( 35
bags @94lbs each )

I can see where having to tote your floor 100' to the site from the concrete
truck would be a pain... but there are several options there... the easiest
being a pump truck and the hardest being making the concrete on site....
Wheel barrows going from the truck to the site being the most commonly
accepted around here... with dual front wheels on the wheel barrow being
virtually mandatory... ( trust me they are the only kind to own )...

The deal is that 4" is the minimum for a slab.... and virtually nothing
takes it's place otherwise it's going to shatter the first time you use a
jack on it...  Minimum PSI requirement for me would be 3000psi concrete....
( My shop floor is 4500 psi )  the difference being the amount of portland
cement in the mix....   Trying to mix your own concrete on site would allow
the mix design to vary radically patch to patch and make it very difficult
to control the quality of the concrete... thou it would still be better then
a wood floor...

The fella that said the worst concrete job would be better then a wood floor
was exactly right... no matter how horrible the concrete smoothing process
was it would still be better then wood.

Keith